Public holidays are plentiful in Japan. And holidays call for festivals. I spent the day mixing with the crowds a couple of weekends ago. This first picture is of an outdoor shopping center at
Osu Kannon that is covered with a roof over the street. There were crowds everywhere.
There were performances on every corner.
Some were rather, uh... unusual.


Others were very traditional.
O
My favorite performance was the Taiko Drummers...
Next, I went to Nagoya's "Central Park" at Sakae. They had big stages set up all over with different performances taking place. This group was a local Community College chorus. After the show, a man came up to me and asked me how I liked it (they were singing songs in English). He was very pleased when I told him that they were very good and I enjoyed the show very much. He told me he was the Principal of the school.
I loved all of the performances. The music was very diverse.
Not only Americans are enthralled with Harley Davidson motorcycles. There was a display of several very nice bikes at the festival too.
However, I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the dancing Elvis's who rode in on them.
This group of people was selling these beautiful bouquets of flowers for only 500 yen ($5.00).
There is a lot of talent of all ages in Nagoya.
What is a festival without food! These are Japanese Fries (I mean French Fries... Oh I'm so confused).
Most of the food looked very tempting.
But I couldn't get too excited about the octopus. It is good but kind of chewy.
Yummy.
More yummy.
And what would a festival be without food on stick. These are pickles.
This is squid on a stick.
Beef, pork and chicken on a stick.
And my favorite, monkey on a stick.

OK, I just got carried away. This was a monkey act in the park. He was pretty talented.
This dog was wearing a bib and was apparently, ready to eat too.
The show went on well into the night.

I just love public holidays in Japan. Oh, by the way, this weekend is another public holiday (Culture Day I think).
No comments:
Post a Comment